HOW TO USE SUPER CRUISETM
Difficulty Level: Intermediate | Time Required: 10 minutes | Tools Required: None
If equipped, Super Cruise™† is the first true hands-free driving technology for compatible highways. With an ever-growing network, you can travel on over 320,000 kms of compatible highways throughout Canada and the United States. Learn how to use Super Cruise.
To use Super Cruise, Adaptive Cruise Control† must be on.
1. First, turn on Adaptive Cruise Control by pressing the ADAPTIVE CRUISE CONTROL button on your steering wheel.
2. Then, when Super Cruise detects you are on a compatible highway, paying attention and all other driving conditions necessary for the feature to function are met (e.g., lane markings visible, GPS available, no system faults), the Super Cruise symbol illuminates in white on the instrument cluster.
a. On some models, you will have to centre your vehicle in the lane before seeing the Super Cruise symbol appear.
3. When it is safe to do so, press the SUPER CRUISE button on the steering wheel to engage Super Cruise.
a. On some vehicles, when all other driving conditions are met but you are not centred in your lane, the Super Cruise symbol will light up blue until you are centred in your lane.
4. When the symbol and the steering wheel light bar illuminate in green, you may remove your hands from the steering wheel. You should not remove your hands from the steering wheel unless the light bar is green, which lets you know Super Cruise is steering the vehicle.
5. If an Adaptive Cruise Control speed was not previously set, Super Cruise will set your current speed as the cruise speed.
6. On some vehicles, when Super Cruise is turned on, it will activate the Enhanced Automatic Emergency Braking,† Forward Collision Alert† and Lane Change Alert with Side Blind Zone Alert† features, even if you had previously turned them off. On these vehicles, when you turn Super Cruise off, these features will revert to the settings you had previously set for them. On other vehicles, your settings for these features will remain set, even if you turn your vehicle off and on again.
TURNING SUPER CRUISE OFF
To turn Super Cruise off, press the Super Cruise button again or firmly take control of steering and press your brake pedal.
UNDERSTANDING THE STEERING WHEEL LIGHT INDICATORS
When Super Cruise is off, the light bar on your steering wheel will be off and the Super Cruise symbol on your Driver Information Centre will also be off. You must steer, brake and accelerate.
When Super Cruise is on, the steering wheel light bar and Super Cruise symbol will indicate the system status. The symbol looks like a steering wheel. Here is what the lights on the bar and symbol mean:
- Solid Green Bar and Solid Green Symbol: Super Cruise is active and automatically steering your vehicle.
- Flashing Green Bar and Solid Green Symbol (1st Alert): Super Cruise is active, but the system detects that you need to pay attention to the road.
- Pulsing Blue Bar and Solid Blue Symbol: Super Cruise is active, but the system detects that you are manually steering. To engage Super Cruise, position your vehicle in the centre of the lane and hold the steering wheel steady until you see the green indicators.
- Flashing Red Bar, Solid Red Symbol and Beeps Sound (2nd Alert): You need to take steering control immediately. The system cannot operate properly under current conditions. Your vehicle will begin to coast until you take steering control. You will have to turn Super Cruise back on to use the system again.
- Flashing Red Bar, Solid Red Symbol, Beeps Sound, and Voice Prompt (3rd Alert): You need to take steering control immediately. A voice prompt will tell you to take over steering control. If you do not take steering control, your vehicle will steer and brake gradually to a stop in its current lane.
- If this occurs, an OnStar Emergency-Certified Advisor† will contact you to ensure that you are safe and are paying attention to the road.
- Super Cruise will not be available until you turn your vehicle off and ignition cycle it again.
Included on the 2022 and newer Sierra 1500 and HUMMER EV Pickup.
On properly equipped vehicles,† Super Cruise can steer to perform a single lane change under certain conditions. Not all vehicles with Super Cruise can do this. Lane change functionality does not work while trailering.
Remember, you must continue to focus on the road and traffic prior to and during the lane change manoeuvre.
To request a lane change while you’re using Super Cruise with Lane Change On Demand:
- Verify the lane next to your vehicle is clear and conditions are safe to make a lane change.
- When Super Cruise is engaged, move the turn signal in the direction of the lane you’d like to change to. You do not need to fully latch the turn signal to activate Lane Change On Demand.
- Super Cruise will then begin searching for an acceptable opening in the lane, while giving other drivers enough time to see your turn signal. You’ll see a message in your Driver Information Centre (DIC) letting you know Super Cruise is looking for an opening.
Note: Super Cruise will not make a lane change if Lane Change Alert with Side Blind Zone Alert† detects a vehicle in the direction of your desired lane change (when the icon in your outside rearview mirror is lit).
- When Super Cruise determines the lane is open, it will begin to enter the lane. You’ll see a DIC message that says “Auto Lane Change: Changing Lanes.”
- When Lane Change On Demand is finished changing lanes, you’ll see a message in your DIC that says the lane change is complete. If you fully latched the turn signal to begin Lane Change On Demand, you must unlatch it when the lane change is finished to turn off the turn signal.
Early in a Lane Change On Demand manoeuvre, you can cancel it by moving the turn signal stalk away from the direction of the lane change. When you do this, your vehicle will return to its original lane and the Super Cruise symbol will remain green. At any time during the manoeuvre, you can cancel Lane Change On Demand by manually steering. The Super Cruise symbol will turn blue when you do this and the manoeuvre will be cancelled. Once your vehicle is centred in the lane, the Super Cruise symbol will transition back to green.
If Super Cruise detects you aren’t paying attention, if it cannot detect lane lines or detects a vehicle entering the lane after you have transitioned far enough out of the previous lane, you will see a DIC message indicating Lane Change On Demand has been cancelled. The Super Cruise symbol will then turn red and you will need to immediately retake control of the vehicle.
Included on the 2022 and newer Sierra 1500 and HUMMER EV Pickup.
If your vehicle has Automatic Lane Change capability and it’s enabled in the vehicle’s Settings menu, Super Cruise may initiate a lane change under the following conditions:
- The Super Cruise System may initiate a lane change to the left or right to pass a slower-moving vehicle ahead and a subsequent lane change to return to your original lane.
- The Super Cruise System may initiate a lane change to the left or right when the current lane is ending ahead.
- A message appears on the DIC during the lane change to provide more information on the status of the lane change.
- To cancel a Super Cruise lane change, move the turn signal lever or manually take over the steering wheel at any time.
- You can enable or disable lane changes by going to Settings > Vehicle Personalization > Super Cruise Lane Change.
Included on the 2022 and newer Sierra 1500 and as an available enhancement on the 2022 HUMMER EV Pickup.
If your vehicle is properly equipped, Super Cruise can recognize when you’re pulling a trailer and automatically adjust the gap to the next vehicle ahead for extra stopping distance. Lane change functionality is temporarily disabled and will not be available when you’re trailering with Super Cruise.
On the 2022 HUMMER EV Pickup Edition 1, this enhancement will be delivered via a Vehicle Software Update.†
A pop-up notification will appear on the infotainment screen indicating a vehicle update is available. Tap "Install Update" to begin the process (follow directions on screen; the vehicle must be parked and will be disabled during the update). A confirmation will appear on screen when the update is successful.
If you have questions about this upgrade, contact OnStar to speak to an Advisor.
RELATED LINKS AND RESOURCES
No. Super Cruise cannot steer to avoid any objects (including vehicles, animals, pedestrians, bicyclists, potholes, debris, construction barriers or cones). It is not a crash avoidance system. It is designed to help you stay in a single lane and works with Adaptive Cruise Control† to help you keep distance between you and the vehicle ahead of you.
LOOKING FOR SOMETHING ELSE?
NEED MORE HELP?
Communicate with one of our specialists.